POSITION TITLE: POLICE OFFICER I
SALARY: GRADE 25: $41,369.34 - $70,327.88 ($19.89/Hour - $33.81/Hour)
FLSA CLASS: HOURLY (NON-EXEMPT)
APPOINTMENT AND RANK:
A Police Officer I shall be appointed by the Chief of Police. Subject to law, rules of the Department and directions of the Chief of Police and appropriate commanding officers, a Police Officer I shall direct a specific police situation.
Police Officer I shall be the rank assigned to this classification but will not be denoted by any uniform insignia. This position will report to a Team/Unit Supervisor or First Line Supervisor depending on the assignment.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
A Police Officer I shall, within his/her authority, perform the following:
- Remain available and prepared to accept calls for police service and to obey orders from superiors. Provide immediate attention to calls for assistance, complaints and emergencies. Render efficient and effective service when required, and return to regular duties as promptly as practical. Prepare reports upon completion of assignments as necessary.
- Be vigilant and alert for violations of law and make every effort to prevent breaches of the peace and offenses against persons and property.
- Maintain an alert and professional demeanor.
- Be familiar with the geography of the Town and area to which assigned in order to perform patrol duties and assist the public.
- Be alert for wanted and missing persons and vehicles.
- Remain alert for situations and problems affecting the public welfare and take necessary action to resolve such situations.
- Have a thorough working knowledge of all components of the Department and cooperate fully with all members.
- Promptly and adequately respond to assignments and orders from higher authorities and contribute to the maintenance of discipline in the Department.
- Be responsible for all legal papers assigned and make diligent efforts to serve such documents.
- Be familiar with and properly maintain all issued and utilized equipment.
- Perform other related duties as required by command and supervisory personnel.
DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
High School diploma or GED is required. Strong computer skills. Excellent interpersonal communication skills. High level of professionalism. Strong problem solving abilities.
Possession of a valid North Carolina Driver’s License. Accuracy in all transactions. Ability to deal effectively with customers, co-workers and the general public. Able to follow oral and written directions to establish and follow work procedures.
Applications can be obtained from the Human Resources Department, City Hall, Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM or any time on the City of Thomasville website at https://www.thomasville-nc.gov .
Click Here to Apply Today!
Applications will be reviewed to select the best qualified applicants. Selection will include a structured interview. This position is considered to be open until filled.
The City of Thomasville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and organizational needs.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled