POSITION TITLE: PART TIME FIREFIGHTER I
SALARY: PART TIME - $15.00/HOUR
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Performs general firefighting work combating and extinguishing fires to protect life and property in the community. This position is located in the City’s fire department.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THIS CLASS:
An employee in this class combats and extinguishes fires and assists in maintaining departmental equipment, buildings and grounds. Some public contact is required in the performance of the employee’s duties. Good judgment and initiative are required in applying modern fire suppression principles and practices. This employee is subject to the usual hazards of fire suppression activities requiring work in inside and outside environments in extreme temperatures and exposure to various hazards such as hazardous spills with fumes, oils, gases or flammable liquids. Work is performed under the general supervision of the fire captain at the employee’s assigned station. Work is evaluated through observation, inspection and discussion.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND TASKS:
- Participating in fire suppression activities including entering burning structures in an effort to extinguish fires and search for and rescue victims, and ventilating structures by creating openings in windows, doors and ceilings.
- Participating in post-fire suppression activities to salvage and protect property including covering furniture, fixtures and personal belongings, as well as sweeping and mopping to prevent water damage and securing buildings to prevent unauthorized entry.
- Cleaning, servicing and maintenance of fire fighting vehicles and equipment.
- General fire station clean-up including sweeping and mopping floors, cleaning furniture and bathrooms, lawn mowing and other necessary grounds keeping activities.
- Attending training sessions, studying training manuals and participating in fire drills to stay abreast of modern firefighting techniques and to maintain developed skills.
- Conducting service inspections of the City fire hydrants.
- Performing related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- General knowledge of geographic and street layout of the City and of hydrant locations.
- General knowledge of modern firefighting principles, practices and procedures.
- General knowledge of the rules and regulations of the Fire Department and local ordinances.
- General knowledge of CPR and first-aid principles and skill in their application.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of the various equipment used in the Fire Department.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in routine and emergency situations.
- Ability to deal courteously with the public.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Must have the ability to physically perform the basic life operational functions of climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing and performing repetitive motions.
Must have the visual acuity to operate machines such as drills, power saws where seeing the job is at or within arm’s reach; and close visual acuity to operate measurement devices such as gauges on the fire truck.
This employee is subject to working in adverse environmental conditions including work inside and outside in extreme temperatures and may be exposed to blood borne pathogens.
DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from high school or GED, supplemented by courses in firefighting. CPR certification.
Possession of a valid North Carolina driver’s license, with a good driving record. Ability to meet or exceed standards established for a firefighter by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) within the specified NFPA timeframe.
Applications can be obtained from the Human Resources Department, City Hall, Monday thru Friday, 8:00 AM through 5:00 PM or any time on the City of Thomasville website at https://www.thomasville-nc.gov.
Applications will be reviewed to select the best qualified applicant. Hiring procedures may include written examination, agility testing and a structured interview.
THE CITY OF THOMASVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, GENDER, COLOR, CREED, AGE, DISABILITY OR NATIONAL ORIGIN.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled