The Transportation Committee is appointed by the Mayor after every City Council election, usually in December. The members serve for two-year terms, at the pleasure of the Mayor. There are no term limits, however all members must be elected city council. At this time there are 3 members. Meetings are open to the public, but do not have a public comment period.
- Reviews and comments on candidate projects submitted by the High Point Metropolitan Planning Organization (HPMPO) under the North Carolina Department of Transportation’s (NCDOT) project prioritization process.
- Considers issues and makes recommendations concerning local NCDOT projects included in the State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP).
- Reviews and recommends changes in the city and state street system responsibilities as annually requested by NCDOT.
- Reviews and recommends changes in street names and street closing requests.
- Considers issues, policies, and plans acted upon by the HPMPO Transportation Advisory Committee (TAC) and makes recommendations relevant to local transportation interests. These interests may include consideration of the Unified Planning Work Plan (UPWP), Comprehensive Transportation Plan (CTP), Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP), and Metropolitan Transportation Improvement Program (MTIP).
- Considers and makes recommendations concerning issues, policies, and plans of the Davidson County Transportation System relating to local public transportation and the Memorandum of Understanding on County bus service adopted on June 28, 2016.
- Considers issues, policies, and plans of the Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation (PART) relating to local public transportation interests.
Committee Meeting Date/Time & Membership
Committee meetings are held on the 1st Tuesday of the month, unless canceled due to a lack of business. Committee meetings begin at 8:30 a.m. and meet back-to-back until all of the committees that have been called have met. Meetings are currently being held at Ball Park Community Center, 7003 Ball Park Road. Agendas are available at City Hall and are posted to the city website by 5:00 p.m. the Friday prior to the meeting date. For the most recent agendas click here.
Neal Grimes - Chairperson
Hunter Thrift - Vice-Chairperson
A quorum of the Council may be present and may be part of any discussion, however, only the committee members may vote on agenda items before the committee.