The Engineering Department provides a number of different services to the public and other city departments. It is comprised of a two person staff that is responsible for the following municipal services:

Building Permit Review
Building permits are issued by the City of Thomasville Planning & Inspections Department located in City Hall at 10 Salem Street. As a part of the review and approval process, the Engineering Department reviews permit requests to determine compliance with the Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance as administered and enforced by the Engineering Consultant and to determine compliance with erosion control plan approval requirements as administered and enforced by the Energy, Mineral, and Land Resources Section of the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality (NCDEQ). Compliance on both of the above described items, as necessary, must be obtained prior to the Engineering Department being able to sign-off on a permit request.

A separate Floodplain Development Permit must be obtained from the Engineering Consultant prior to any development within a Special Flood Hazard Area in accordance with the Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance regardless of the scope or type of development. Development means any man-made change to improved or unimproved real estate, including, but not limited to, buildings or other structures, mining, dredging, filling, grading, paving, excavation or drilling operations, or storage of equipment or materials. Special Flood Hazard Areas are identified on the effective Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) for Davidson County which are produced in cooperation with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) by the State of North Carolina.

Where an erosion control plan is required by NCDEQ, a copy of the approval letter and a copy of the approved erosion control plan must be provided. Generally, an erosion control plan is required prior to development that will disturb one acre or more of land. Please contact the regional Energy, Mineral, and Land Resources Office in Winston-Salem, NC for more information.

Subdivision Review
The subdivision ordinance is administered by the Planning & Inspections Department. The Engineering Department reviews subdivision plats and plans for compliance with specific requirements of the subdivision ordinance including but not limited to street and surveying requirements. Surveying requirements of the North Carolina General Statutes and the North Carolina Administrative Code must also be met.

The Engineering Department provides various location, layout, boundary, and construction surveys on small public works projects. Typical projects include street right-of-way acquisitions; sanitary sewer location and easement surveys; layout of park facilities; and boundary surveys of city-owned properties.

Street Lighting
You may request a street light for a public street inside the city limits by calling 336-475-4257. Requests are reviewed on a monthly basis. Recommendations are then made to the City Manager for review after which approved requests are forwarded to Duke Energy who installs and maintains the street light system. To report a street light problem such as a burnout, day burner (burns during daylight), or cycler (turns on and off frequently), please call Duke Energy’s 24 hour customer service at 1-800-777-9898 or go to

Record Keeping
The Engineering Department is responsible for maintaining a considerable number of maps and other documents that include information concerning streets, waterlines, sanitary sewer, street lights, zoning, city limits, etc. Paper plots and digital files for some of these maps are available to the public for a fee. Requests for maps should be made to the Engineering Department, City of Thomasville, P.O. Box 368, Thomasville, NC 27361 or by calling (336) 475-4256. Fees must be paid in advance.

Engineering Department offices are located at City Hall, 3rd Floor, 10 Salem Street, P.O. Box 368, Thomasville, NC, 27361.